Tuesday 30 October 2012

Phil Davis On Facing Forrest Griffin


Davis spoke to Sportsnet ’590 The Fan’ during the UFC Central program

“They contacted me about fighting Forrest (Griffin). Actually when I got off the plane from Brazil. I stayed in Brazil a couple of extra days. As soon as I got off the plane from Brazil, turned on my phone for the first time in two weeks…I get a ton of text messages. I’m going through my text messages and whenever you get sixty messages at once you have to go through the important ones first. I went to family. Typed all the ones to my management.”

“As soon as I got text messaged back from my management, I’m like ‘Oh crap, I have a fight in two months. I have to get back in shape.’ Not that I’m not in good shape but I have to stay in shape. I can’t get fat. I’m looking forward to getting fat, you know what I’m saying?”

"as soon as I got off the plane I got the text message to fight Forrest. Obviously he is a former champion. Well known inside the sport and out. It’s just an honor to fight him. I said ‘absolutely.’”

Both fighters possess similar styles, and Davis was asked his thoughts on battling someone with their mentality.

“I’d rather not go three rounds with a guy like that. He just keeps going you know. Exactly, exactly. He is just like a Stephan Bonnar. Those guys, they get bloodied up and ‘alright I’m ready to do this thing.’ I don’t really get it but that’s how they roll. You know, I like that know that a guys not going to be scared of you but he’s going to pressure you. That to me, that brings out the best of me. That brings out the fight in my game.”

“Sometimes when you face a guy who just wants to pick you apart with one strike here and there, it slows down the pace a lot. I want a fast paced fight. I want a ‘Fight of the Night’ you know.”
“I look forward to it, it should be awesome.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive